6.19.2012

Clearly Another Day

        I felt guilty not seeing mom on Friday but timing was not right....I did, however, see her on Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday, I met my sister and we had "brunch" with mom.  She ate a blueberry muffin which is the most I've seen her eat for breakfast since she got there.  This was good.  We had a nice conversation, up until we had to leave.  Mom got weepy and confused as to why we weren't taking her with us.  The nurses came in and told her she needed to be bathed and that seemed to help out a bit.  It's hard to leave when she's like that.
        Sunday, after church and breakfast Tony and I both went in to see mom.  It was around noon, she had just been to occupational therapy and was in a great mood.  We wheeled her in to a very nice, open rec room.  We sat around a small table and they were able to serve her lunch there.  This was great.  We talked while she ate her lunch and it was good to see her feed herself and continue to visit.  It wasn't until she focused on a painting across from her that she started recounting things that probably didn't happen.  We had a hard time refocusing as she kept coming back to the same story several times.  After her dessert, we wheeled her to the nurses station  which is where she likes to be.  There she can visit with another patient, Mrs. Woodhouse.  They are very cute together, holding hands, telling each other stories and laughing.  My mom tends to be very social.  We left her in good hands. 
        Monday was difficult to get there, I had a slight stomach bug that prevented me from going too far and I certainly didn't want to give it to her.   
        Today was better and I've been to see her......she was surprised to see me, she was weepy and asked if the nurses had called me.  That was an indication of  something gone poorly!!!  Apparently, she refused her breakfast, had yelled at them and become irritated.  In a way it's funny because my walking in made it seem as though she had been "caught" acting like a naughty girl.  Oh mother!!!  We visited for a while, still confused....I watered her lovely plant, a begonia.  She told me not to do that, I told her that the plant like her needed to be fed and watered or it would die.  She very stubbornly told me to let it die......I hate it when she talks that way.  We changed the conversation to the sunshine and possibility of rain. I showed her pictures of grandkids, the same ones I show her every day.....she delights in seeing them for the "first time".   
        I don't know what tomorrow will bring.  I watched her as she napped off and on during my visit.  Clearly she has beautiful skin,  even with all the weight loss, she barely has wrinkles on her face.  She doesn't have skin flaws other than the brusing she still has from her hospital stay.  Her facial skin is creamy white and soft.  Her sleep is interrupted by noises outside her door and she gets startled which leaves her confused and asking where she is. 
        What is it that Scarlett O'Hara says......"tomorrow is another day"......or maybe Annie....."the sun will come out tomorrow".  I don't know what tomorrow will bring.


        Today is my in-laws 64th wedding anniversary!!!  Congratulations to them.  I've been "babysitting" the house while they've been on vacation and their bathroom has been remodeled.  It's been tedious but I've been genuinely glad to do it!  Congratulations to  them with all of my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment